Friday, October 15, 2010

Don't hate me because I'm trying to be intellectual...

...and current on things that effect the world today and stuff like that.

Geez.

I am usually pretty shy and reticent talking or writing about 'some things'. You know?

But if you've been reading my blog for awhile, let me just say again that the hoo haw post was an anomaly.

But now that I re-read that story the whole thing cracks me up all over again...when I saw that hoo haw on PJ's blog and...

...ummm...

Sorry.

I kind of went off on a tangent here.

Ummmm....

Where was I?

Yea. Oh yea. I was talking about how some people get hostile when you're just innocently trying to have a conversation about current events and things relevant to society today.

And...

This morning around 3:12 am, I tried to have such a conversation with Mr. Jenny. He was unusually uncooperative. And dismissive. And possibly even annoyed.


Me: Are you awake?
Mr. Jenny: No. Go away.
Me: I can't, this is important.
Mr. Jenny: Sigh.
Me: Can I talk now?
Mr. Jenny: If I say 'no' will you NOT talk?
Me: Probably not.
...

...

...
Me: Are you awake?
Mr. Jenny: OK. (turning over) What?
Me: Ummm... ummm.... ummm....
Mr. Jenny: Yeeeesssssss? (said with a teeny bit of sarcasm that is even now hurting my feelings hours and hours later)
Me: Well...ummm... I need to ask you something...
Mr. Jenny: Yeeeeeessssssss? (said with a teensy bit more sarcasm...sigh)
Me: OK. Well. I don't remember if you ever used a condom.
...

...

...
Mr. Jenny: (sitting up in bed now) WHAT?!? What are you talking about? WHAT????
Me: Ummm.... don't yell, I was just asking a question. Geez. Calm down.
Mr. Jenny: ABOUT CONDOMS????? AT 3 A.M.?????
Me: Well, yea. It's kind of important.
Mr. Jenny: Why. Is. It. Important. That. We. Discuss. Condoms. At. 3 a.m.?
Me: It's after 3 am, but that's beside the point. I was reading in Time Magazine that...
Mr. Jenny: (rudely interrupting me) It's a magazine. I don't care. Go back to sleep.
Me: Well, it said in the magazine that Boomers are considered the generation that is most high risk...
Mr. Jenny: (rudely interrupting me again) Jenny. We've been married for 11 years.
Me: So? In Time Magazine it says...
Mr. Jenny: I don't care what Time Magazine says...I don't care about condoms.
Me: Geez. You don't have to say that so meanly. I'm sorry I brought it up...it's just that in Time Magazine...
Mr. Jenny: Stop. Just Stop. Please. I'm begging you. Go to sleep. I'm exhausted. I don't want to talk about condoms.
Me: Fine.


...

...

Me: Do you want to talk about another article I read in Time Magazine then?

...

...

Mr. Jenny: No.

...

...

Me: OK, never mind then. I'm sorry I woke you.

...

...

Mr. Jenny: Quit pouting. I can't sleep when I know you're laying there pouting.

...

...

Me: I'm not pouting.

...

...
Mr. Jenny: (sighing in disgust) OK, if I talk about condoms will you be quiet and go to sleep.

Me: Never mind. I'm tired. I don't want to talk about condoms now.

Ha. That'll teach him not to talk to me about condoms at 3 am. The silly man doesn't realize how lucky he is I don't read Cosmopolitan magazine. Then I would REALLY have things to talk about at 3 am!

Sigh...

post signature

33 comments:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Naughty, naughty Boomers.

Terra said...

oh Jenny, that man has the patience of a saint! And you are hilarious...I can totally see this happening in your house!

La said...

You crack me up,Jenny.

Anonymous said...

Jenny - that is sooooo funny! I am still giggling as I write this comment.
I mean, what are husbands for if not to wake them up in the wee small hours to discuss these issues?
Our conversations usually go on the lines of:
Me: "Peeeeeeeeter...
Him: 'Yes darling?'
Me: "I've been thinking....
Him: Oh God....

Then I launch into whatever my condom of the moment issue is.

Love it :)

Jocelyn said...

You made me smile......the hubby has such patience!!!!

Amazing what enters into our mind in the middle of the night!!!

Love ya girlie.....have a great one!!!

Sue said...

He'd probably like the things you wanted to talk about from Cosmo...have you seen that magazine lately?

Mr. Sue is hopeless at night. I don't think he'd wake up if the house was on fire and if I do wake him up...immediately my mild mannered husband is pretty nasty...unless I'm sick. If I'm sick, he is sweet...if I'm just interrupting his precious sleep or think the house is being robbed...look out! Of course if I wanted to talk to him about Cosmo...he'd wake up!

Tina said...

I think you're onto something here...seems he'll agree to just about anything to go back to sleep...so I have an idea.
Jenny: Um, honey, I need to ask you something.
Mr. Jenny: can't it wait, I'm TRYING to sleep.
Jenny: But I was just wondering...
Mr. Jenny, sitting up: just spit it out for God's sake so I can go back to sleep!
Jenny:I don't know...maybe I'd better ask you in the morning...
Mr. Jenny: no. ask. me. now.
Jenny: Well ok...would it be alright with you if I took a trip to CO to visit my blogging friends, and you stay home and watch the grandkids?
Mr. Jenny: YES! WHATEVER! Just let me go back to sleep!
See? I think it would work. And my guest room is all ready. And October is gorgeous in CO...so what do you say?

Jeanie said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Mr. Jenny is a saint.

Oh, and I think Tina's idea is a great plan.

Parsley said...

You are a funny gal! Made me smile this morning....so...let's talk condoms...

Viki said...

LOL, so what was the article about?

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Mr Jenny is much nicer then Mr ALC when I wake him up in the night with important things to discuss...Sigh...Men don't they get it!! Still smiling Miss Jenny! You really do brighten my day...now about those condoms?

Willoughby said...

That really made me laugh! I'm still curious about the article you were talking about!

In our house, it's the opposite. My husband is the one awake at 3:00 am because he has frequent insomnia. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I often find him watching really bad (boring, not dirty) foreign movies with sub titles. He would probably love to have a conversation, but I usually want to get back to sleep.

mub said...

I literally laughed out loud on this one. I love your middle of the night conversations with Mr Jenny ;)

Jessica B said...

LOL Jenny! This is hilarious! I often find myself wide awake at 3 am ready to have a deep conversation with my husband too.

I like Tina's idea! I might have to use that one myself. :)

Cheryl D. said...

Wow, how terrible that Mr. Jenny refuses to have these important talks with you!

Judie said...

I'm surprised no one snapped up that word for Alphabe-Thursday last week!! I actually thought about it, but I am not as funny as you are. Only you could have pulled it off. No, wait, that's not what I meant. Oh, never mind!

"Alone again.... naturally!" said...

Well that brightened my day! I Lol'd at Julianna's comment about her hubby too, cause I can hear my hubby saying pretty much the same thing....Oh God!

laterg8r said...

thanks for the giggle :D

Anonymous said...

You are so funny! I just love everything you post. Hugs

Susan Anderson said...

On a tangential note, our fourth was a condom baby.

Just sayin'.

;)

Brenda said...

Jenny, It seems forever since you shared one of your late night talks with us. Always good for a smile. If I tried to talk to hubs in the middle of the night all I would get was a snore as an answer.

Marlene said...

Oh my gosh - so FREAKING FUNNY!!!!!

Thanks for the chuckles. I don't know why, but I can totally imagine you sporting a pout!!

Connie Arnold said...

That is so funny, and your husband is sure patient. If I started a conversation during the night like that, the only answer I'd get would be a snore.

Amy said...

:D What a fabulously funny story. Though I am sure neither one of you thought so at the time. And seriously, if it was in TIME it is a world changing, life changing event. Sheesh! But I am going to have to second Tina here. Brilliant idea. Just ask him in the middle of the night for what you need, and it will be yours!

Unknown said...

LOL You crack me up miss Jenny! Thanks for the giggle....and Give Mr. Jenny a hug LOL he deserves one for being so sweet not wanting you to pout!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

u r brilliant with out trying.
be yourself, smiles.
always enjoyed your honesty and sweet nature.

Ames said...

My goodness, I must be totally naive. I thought you were going to tell Mr. Jenny you were unexpectantly expecting. I'm a dope.~Ames

Jo said...

oh those boomers ... what a terrible lot we are ... and Mr. Jenny .... her can rest when he's 80 ... sometimes the best conversations happen when we dont even realize that we are awake!

J said...

You are so lucky he is so patient with you. He really is a keeper... Even after 11 years... Haha.

cj Schlottman said...

jenny, this is wonderful! mr. jenny's irritation is palpable, as is your frustration..........very well timed and very funny.

kudos..........cj

One Photo said...

Hilarious! I have to just say that Mr Jenny is extremely tolerant. If I tried to have a conversation with my husband at 3am and woke him up to attempt to do so he would not just sigh :-)

Pondside said...

Ah Jenny - you've done it again - made me laugh out loud like a crazy woman in my own kitchen. If I wake anyone I'll be blaming you!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Mr. Jenny is so patient...but he could be a little bit nicer to you in these middle of the night conversations. :)
So, what did the article say about condoms???