Thursday, July 25, 2013

I don't know you...

I haven't walked a mile in your shoes.
 
Or even a block.
 
I don't know what pain you are suffering...
in mind or in body.
 
I don't know your worries.
 
I don't know your sad stories.
 
I don't know about the phone calls you got before you came out today...
 
...or the news your best friend just told you on the phone.
 
I don't know you.
I'm sorry that sometimes I feel quick to judge you.
 
That sometimes I get snappy with you when you reach in front of me to grab the frozen peas at the grocery store.
 
I'm sorry that I don't offer you a smile.
 
Or a compliment.
 
Or a kind word.
 
Or a non-glare.
 
I don't know you.
 
And I am going to work on that.
 
I am going to work on my tolerance.
 
And I am going to smile at you today and tell what a pretty shade of purple your t-shirt is.
 
I don't know you.
 
But I'm really sorry that things feel so awful right now.
 
post signature 

21 comments:

Lynn said...

Good timing:@)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I needed to 'read' and hear this too ~ Thanks, Jenny ~ Great macro photos ^_^ ~ Happy Day too.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Show them your "eyebrows" they will be quick to smile and you will know them.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

love it...

Amy said...

If only more people had compassion like this. If only more people thought before they acted. This is beautiful.

Eden House News and views said...

Wow as a nation we should read this in the uk

Janie Junebug said...

We all need to say this to the world.

Love,
Janie

Busy Bee Suz said...

YOU are awesome. And yes, I KNOW you. :)
XOXO

Jenny said...

Thanks, Jenny. I needed this. I have been dealing with my sister-in-law's Alzheimer's and my nephew got mad at me that I mentioned his mother had the disease on my blog. That upset me and I thought, he doesn't know me or how I write. I would never hurt someone intentionally. It has made me take a look at what I am saying viewed from someone else's eyes. xo Jenny

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This was beautiful, Jenny! It is true we can't know what another is going through in their lives. We all have our struggles and needs. It is a good reminder to keep kindness in our hearts. Bless you!

J said...

I loved this, Jenny.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful.

Pondside said...

Oh boy - I wish I had read this before I headed out to work this morning! It would have helped....a lot!

Rita said...

What a truly lovely post. :)

Siggi in Downeast Maine said...

I always need a figurative whack in the head....poetically today was perfect.
Wonderful poem.
Peace
Siggi

pasqueflower said...

Beautiful message.

Theresa said...

Sweet Jenny:) Love you to pieces! Have a blessed weekend, HUGS!

Pat Tillett said...

That was really good Jenny! I could certainly be be a little more tolerant sometimes. I have a short fuse when it comes to people who are having a bad day, taking it out on me. Especially so if I don't know them.
Granny used to say, "if you are having a bad day, you should be the only one who knows it."

Anonymous said...

Well done that one! When you know what it feels like to be on the other side of that glare and you are hurting so much, it would be good to know; that 'Jenny' was the person you bumped into next.
Thanks
Liz

Susan Anderson said...

We should all strive for this...

=)

Splendid Little Stars said...

paradigm shift.
We never really do know, do we?
might as well extend some compassion.